When pests invade your home, it's can be hard to get rid of them, especially if they are certain types of pests, such as roaches, termites, and bed bugs. Fortunately, there are a few tips that you can use to pest proof your home before they invade. If you find that there are any issues, you can contact a company like Bill's Home Service that can come to the home to look for the source of the problem and get rid of the pests in a safe manner for the family and any pets.
Keeping a well maintained home and yard can significantly reduce pest issues inside and out. A few easy ways to pest proof your home include:
- Examine the home for any openings that might make it easy for pests to get inside. Seal these openings with weather stripping, patches for screens, or caulking material that will prevent pests from entering the home. Keeping the home clean can keep pests away.
- If you have pets, feed them in one area that is easy to clean up, disposing of any food that is not consumed shortly after feeding them.
- Clean the counters each day, making sure that there are no crumbs left on surfaces or on the floor.
- Avoid keeping foods in open boxes. Instead, put food in a plastic container so that pests don't get inside. You should also keep fruit in a container and out of the sunlight as this can ripen fruit faster, attracting flies and other pests.
- Keeping the yard clean can keep pests away as well, especially rodents that can get in trash cans. Keep trees, plants, shrubs and grass trimmed back away from the home, and throw away any debris that is in the yard and not being used, such as old patio furniture or trash cans. Avoid keeping exposed trash bags in the yard outside of a can.
- Many insects enjoy homes with a ready water source. Repair any leaks that are inside or underneath the home. You should also remove any containers outside the home that have standing water in them. Check the ceiling of the home to see if there are any water spots. These can be an indication that there is a roof leak, which can lead to severe damage if not treated and pests making a home in the attic space of the home.
Simple steps can be taken to care for your home and keep pests away. For more information on protecting your home from unwanted visitors, contact Bill’s Home Service and speak to one of our licensed experts.